Author Topic: Morrowind  (Read 32606 times)

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
Morrowind
« on: August 06, 2005, 06:33:58 pm »
This is basically a topic to talk about the game Morrowind. You can talk about PC or XBOX version, i have both. I usually make thief characters, warrior and mage isn't my style.

Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Twiggs

Re: Morrowind
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 12:35:33 am »
I'm playing again waiting for Oblivion to knock my socks off.  Awesome game.  Best quote comes from teh dremora near the meteor you pilgramage to.  And the things Idle NPC's say can be fun.  Combat is a bit simple, but Oblivion will fix that.

Offline Amberfox

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 02:11:48 am »
Morrowind (including the two expansions) was certainly one of the best RPGs I've ever played. I bought the GOTY-edition last year and  literally spend hundreds of hours untill I finished it :). I first had a magewarrior-khajiit and then a thief-dunmer (I still haven't finished the game with that character, tho). Do you guys also have the expansions?

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 03:24:33 am »
Playing an Argonian Druid, I feel NO motivation to complete ANY of the quests.  This is difficult of course, but strangely alluring.  This is the first CRPG where I've felt capable of just wandering around, not bothering to take quests, or even kill anything.  Still, the game is designed around questin an killin, so I meet with some resistance to this.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2005, 03:47:27 am »
I like it... BUT (yeah here it comes... i'm never happy am i? ;)),

The big problems i have with the game are:

- bugs, there are quite a few.

- races - the races are dull, and all look the same, just with different skin tones and facial structures.

- quests are dull and pointless.  But then again most RPGs are guilty of this.

- combat system - it's boring!  It really is, it's just so... dull.

- levelling up!  It takes an eternity!  I killed Lord Dren without cheats (just a LOT of re-loads) and was wearing Daedric/ordinator armour at LEVEL 3.  Levelling should be a lot faster and more productive.

- expansions have never been compatible for me.  It won't let me install Tribunal and Bloodmoon and have them both playing in the same game - that sucks.

- poor dialogue.  I'm never emersed!  The dialogue just sucks...

- atmosphere.  The NPCs just stand there!  All the time!  That's cool for an MMO, but can they at least look to be doing something, and not just wandering around looking lost?

I'll think of more in time.  But yeah, this all really marred the experience for me.  I really liked it, but at the same time i wanted something much much more.  Oblivion will fix these issues hopefully.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2005, 10:30:05 am »
yes i have both expansions for PC and only the regular one for XBOX. Strangely enough i still haven't done any of the main story quests. I have had the game for 2-3 years but haven't done any, except give that guy the letter. Mostly i go to manors and steal ppls stuff

Twiggs

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2005, 12:53:41 pm »
My first character I played through a good portion of the game with was a sneaky archer woodelf, got to the point in teh main quest where I had to be neravine and stuff, not really far in any guilds but I had Hlaalu almost finished,and I had to reformat and forgot to save my save. Tried a basic warrior guy and redoran, got bored.  Now I am blaying a Nord Battlemage and am pretty far in mages guild and am progressing through telvanni.  I'm on the third quest in the main quest where you have to go to vivec.

Offline Jecrell

• Battlezone Captain
  • Giant Snowy Ape
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2005, 01:32:09 pm »
I have to agree with Janos on this. There's just too little and too much in Morrowind. You could spend a whole day just running between places with nothing to do and nothing interesting going on between them. You could talk to the townspeople, but if you talk to them once you've heard every single thing they've said everywhere else on the continent. Tribunal and Bloodmoon are both campaign-like expansion packs, but I, myself, never finished the original campaign because I got tired of the game early into the experience. At that point I was just downloading mods like crazy to change the gameplay experience to something more entertaining.

I hope that Oblivion is at least fun.

Twiggs

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2005, 01:40:58 pm »
Yes, Mods definately make it better, gives me sometrhing new to see.

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2005, 03:13:41 pm »
The only quest I took was to guide the Dunmer woman to the Fields of Kammu, although it really doesn't count.  Right after I saw a big carnivorous this running towards me and instantly thought "land creature.  I'll just jump in the lake!" afterwhich I got killed by fish again...
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2005, 03:20:39 pm »
I have finished nearly all theives guild quests, nearly all hlaalu quests, and about 3 morag tong quests

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2005, 05:45:12 pm »
I have the GOTY edition on Xbox, started a handful of charcters. I always found my self getting sidetracked by the sheer size of the world.
And yeah the combat is about as bland as you can get, it just feels so empty, and it takes sooo long to level up it feels like you are making no progress.

But nether the less, i spent alot of time playing just running around killing random people and stealing all the expensive items, it was alot of fun, and I'm totally looking forward to Oblivion

Offline SL

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2005, 07:26:26 pm »
How long it takes to level up really depends on what skills you picked during character creation, and on what skills you're using in general. I've had characters which level extremely slowly, and characters which level extremely rapidly.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2005, 07:29:26 pm »
yes thieves lvl quickley because of acrobatics, i jump everywhere i go and im lvl 18 now.

BTW whats the highest level youve ever gotten to?

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2005, 08:26:42 pm »
Yeah i would be always jumping where ever I went. I think the highest level I got was 7 or 9.