0 (0%)
B
0 (0%)
C
0 (0%)
D
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Spore, for the BBS  (Read 60821 times)

Offline HolsteinCow

• Vanguard Venturer
  • NOT A TROLL
    • View Profile
Spore, for the BBS
« on: November 04, 2005, 07:46:03 pm »
This topic was taken from the GameFaqs Spore forums, which was in turn taken from the Sims 2 forums. So if this seems familiar then there you go.

The way this game goes is that I give you a description of the species' situation and four evolutionary paths to choose from. The next day or so, I continue the story in the chosen direction.

A small, gray fish, about an inch long, swims through the floor of the reef its species has inhabited for decades, consuming plankton with its primitive mouth. However, a large population of more advanced and dominant fish has recently arrived from the deep sea, placing themselves at the top of this food chain and feeding their seemingly insatiable appetites with the gray fish, the heroes of this story. They will need a way to outcompete these new invaders, lest they remain forever docile.

A: Develop a longer and wider tail to increase speed and outmanuvuer the predators.
B: Create a sharp horn at the tip of their heads.
C: Evolve a superior sense of smell.
D: Escape up a nearby river to a freshwater lake.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 08:13:21 pm by HolsteinCow »

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
Re: Spore, for the BBS
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 07:48:54 pm »
How do you want us to vote?

Offline HolsteinCow

• Vanguard Venturer
  • NOT A TROLL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 07:53:17 pm »
You just post in something like "B" or optionally provide an explanation, like "B, because having a batmobile would be cool and it comes with pro-choice bumper stickers definately B".

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 07:55:17 pm »
In that case, I vote D.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 07:58:53 pm »
I vote B. The horn might kill some of the predators and serve as a warning to others that it's not such good eats.

Also, a poll couldn't hurt this topic.  ;)

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 08:04:44 pm »
I'm going to vote for A. I also think a poll would be good for your story. You can reset it each time you want to change the directon of your story. Just don't set the time limit for the poll to expire.

Offline HolsteinCow

• Vanguard Venturer
  • NOT A TROLL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 08:12:08 pm »
I was originally reluctant to do the poll thing, but I guess it will be alright. Just please try to post your reasons for voting here. There was more than one occasion in the 'original' thread where someone with a good point influenced the final decision.

And maybe I should change the rules because I'm getting the vibe I will get way more than nine votes per generation.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005, 08:18:22 pm »
Good idea. I have a feeling this game might get really busy once some of the "Sporaholics" catch wind of it.

Oh, and my reason for choosing D? I think moving to a fresh water lake, where the competition is smaller, the gray fish would have a better chance for survival.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 08:20:33 pm by Oviraptor »

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2005, 08:31:32 pm »
I'm going to go with B because a good offense is the best defense.
(lame tag line from random commercial)

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2005, 03:20:46 am »
a, because sometimes the best offense is to run away.  unable to catch you, the larger fish will either starve or prey upon your competition, increasing your own food supply.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2005, 04:35:29 am »
D- a new habitat will be a boost to diversity
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline HolsteinCow

• Vanguard Venturer
  • NOT A TROLL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2005, 06:53:29 am »
The results stand at

1 for the speed boost
3 for the offensive attack
2 for the migration

A mother comes upon her egg to see an infantile fish hatch, but this one has a sharp horn above its two eyes. The mother, lacking the power of memory,tries to devour her young daughter. But as soon as the mother attempts swallow her offspring, the daughter tries to back away. She doesn't completely evade her mother, but when the parent tried to close its mouth around the tiny gray fish, the horn stabbed her and she quickly retreated away and shortly died. Primal life is very cruel, but if a species' eventual goal is lucid thought, only natural selection will achieve this goal. She continues her life, producing offspring and finds herself able to kill the settled reef carnivores that used to feed on her kind.

Weeks later, the fully grown daughter sees a Sheevich(the invasive predators) and tries to attack with it with her horn. Her attempts to slay the beast are foiled because of the Sheevich's tough scales, and the Sheevich counterattacks with its sharp teeth, ending the poor fish's life. But some time earlier she had laid eggs, that are about to hatch at this very moment. What is the difference between her and these?

A: Make the tail longer and wider, for better swimming speed.
B: Increase the size to match the Sheevich's 3 inch long mass.
C: Give the brain more ridges, making it more effective.
D: Abandon this ecosphere and head for the less populated freshwater lake, up the river.

Offline WoozleWazzle

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2005, 07:09:33 am »
D I don't like the look of those Sheevich's...
Quick, abandon this ecosphere and head for the less populated freshwater lake, up the river.
"The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him."  —George Bush, Sept. 13, 2001

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority." — March 13, 2002

Offline HolsteinCow

• Vanguard Venturer
  • NOT A TROLL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2005, 07:21:02 am »
Don't forget to put your choice on the poll because that's how I'm going to be counting them.

Offline WoozleWazzle

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2005, 07:26:38 am »
I acctually chose 'A' by accident because I was looking at the old set of multiple choice questions... Is there any way to change my poll answer answer to D?
"The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him."  —George Bush, Sept. 13, 2001

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority." — March 13, 2002