Author Topic: The Sims 3: New, Exclusive, Not True, Speculative, Fan-Made Preview!  (Read 10207 times)

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
Oct 27, 2007
Maxis has just announced its latest game in development, The Sims 3.  It will host tons of new features from both the Sims 2 and their latest hit, Spore; as well as some completely unexpected gameplay changes.

Easy Editing:  The new Sim editor allows you to easily sculpt and mold out your Sim's appearance.  From the upturn angle of the nose to the size of the knee cap, nearly everything can be customized with just a drag of the mouse.
A new clothing editor makes even the most complicated garb simple to design.  Just paint on a mannequin and choose how tight, heavy, and flexible the fabric is in any given area.
Even household objects can be easily sculpted, and their statistics judged.

Procedurally Generated Changes:  No longer will your Sims magically poof from childhood to adulthood.  Thanks to procedural generation, all changes have been made slow and gradual.
This doesn't just apply to age--you can slowly gain weight, change appearence, and grow hair.  Thanks to real time physics, you're objects will slowly wear out as well.

Neighborhood-based multiplayer:  Link up to any Maxis-approved database and get ready to play!  Join a game based on preset rules such as initial funds, skills, gender balance, creation themes (B-List celebs, anyone?), and number of residents per household.  Then just build your family and plant a house on a street.
The multiplayer mode works like a strange hybrid between real-time and by-email gameplay.  Players sign in to their current game (they can join in an infinite number of games at a time) and can play up to the maximum allowed in-game hours in the game, interacting with other player's sims in the process.  Once they have maxed out the time limit, they must wait until all other players have played at least for the minimum time before they can jump back in.  This system prevents players from having their sim age while the other players' sims remain in standstill.
Often, two players will be signed on at the same time, enabling live multiplayer co-op play in one lot (that is, if both players agree to it.)  Live gameplay will also occur over the phone.
If two players decide to team up through marriage or moving together, then the system changes slightly.  Both players will be able to take control of the household, and if they are both signed in, they will split control.  If two players desire control of the same sime at once; it will always go to the creator of it, or if it is a child of both players, whoever picked it first.
In many servers, the game will act as a race to achieve a goal, usually involving Aspiration points or money.

Knowledge:  Maxis has greatly expanded the memory/gossip AI into a knowledge system.  Whenever a Sim sees something notable (such as Stan cheating on his wife), or discovers something by Experimenting (see below) it will get added to his knowledge bank.  Now this Sim has the ability to spread the knowledge to any Sim, either randomly through the gossip command, or with the new "Share Knowledge" command.  They can also take knowledge from other Sims with the "Probe" command.  This new system gives any Sim the ability to spread info throughout the whole neighborhood, resulting in some pretty chaotic multiplayer games.  Also, some Sims will get the fact Aspiration.

Creating, Experimenting, and Selling:  Now your Sim has the ability to create furniture, building parts, clothing*, books*, foods, devices, and movies*.  Just buy the right type of Construction tool and place in it your house, and get the Sim(s) working.  This will open up the modeling (or writing, cooking, directing...) utility.  You can then mold out the object you want your sim to make.  After you have made your modeled your object, you must choose a similar object to "Experiment" on, meaning that you’ll look at that object and gather it’s stats (comfort, cost, environment…) from it.  If your skills are low, then you are most likely to fail at making an improvement, and will make something with worse stats than the beginning object.  However, there is a small chance that you’ll IMPROVE the object, and this chance gets higher relative to your skills.
Once you have made a new object, you can sell the patent to INVENTORCORP, who will give you money for your work and add it to every online player’s buy mode.

Attraction System:  When you first make your Sim in the creator app, you are supposed to create what the Sim will look like at its prime appearence.  When you put the Sim in a lot, however, the game will randomly "uglify" the Sim buy changing most of the statistics buy a small degree (like taking some of the facial feature bars and moving them 1/4 of the way in one direction).  Then you will end up with a most certainly less than perfect Sim that you'll probably want to fix with the attraction system.  Attraction can be increased by using various purchasable objects, including aspiration rewards; or by keeping your Sim healthy.  Conversely, the Sim can get worse if you intentionally make it so, or just neglect it's health.
The reward of your efforts on this statistic are not just cosmetic.  the higher your attraction level, the less relation points it takes to achieve "Crush" status.  Once you've achieved the maximum (It gets harder the farther along you are, just like gaining levels in any MMORPG), you can win over others by simply performing one romantic action.

Multiplayer Game Modes:
Sandbox-Easily explained.  Just Roleplay out your own stories with no competition.
Apiration-Buy the game-winning Aspiration item.
Dynasty-Make your family the biggest in the shortest amount of time.
Fortune-Make a million simoleons.
Lifetime-Make your starting Sim last the longest time.
Bedthem-Woohoo race.
Diplomacy-Players make allies by having positive alliances.  When one alliance contains 9/10 of the players, they declare allied victory.
Meet everyone-Says it like it is.  Meet everyone, including the NPCs.
Rat Race-Make everyone else miserable.
Renaissance Man-Get full stats on everything.
Grand Competition-Fulfill any one of those goals.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 01:15:06 pm by VFX Watch »

I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
Re: The Sims 3: New, Exclusive, Not True, Speculative, Fan-Made Preview!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 01:51:58 pm »
So soon? I doubt it, Sims2 only has 3 expansions out! 14 more expansions before they think of a new Sims. Could you post a link, if it is true?
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 01:56:37 pm »
The Sims 3: New, Exclusive, Not True, Speculative, Fan-Made Preview!

I think this will answer you're question.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 02:29:44 pm »
Crap! Wow, I am soooo blind... Everyone laugh at me now!  :-[ Thanks Oviraptor... Seriously I just didn't notice that.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 02:33:03 pm »
I would laugh at you, if your post count wasn't so cool:

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 04:24:51 pm »
All units, prepare to commence laughter. Repeat, prepare to commence laughter. Signal when subject has cleared Waypoint 1234.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 05:39:29 pm »
All units, prepare to commence laughter. Repeat, prepare to commence laughter. Signal when subject has cleared Waypoint 1234.

allright, 1236 now. *sniff* I can take it!

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 06:13:21 pm »
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 06:36:21 pm »
The Sims 3: New, Exclusive, Not True, Speculative, Fan-Made Preview!

I think this will answer you're question.
I also have reason to believe 2007 is a good two weeks or more away...

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 07:17:35 pm »
Hoisted by my own petard, eh?

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2005, 08:01:37 pm »
So uh... Does anyone uh... feel like uhhhh.......... commenting on my preview?

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2005, 08:27:54 pm »
NO!!  we just want to spam and go off on our own tangents.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2005, 08:32:26 pm »
I'm sure you've all suffered through one of my similes/metaphors.

Remember how in Black and White there were those miracle bubbles that you could only use once, and after the miracle stopped doing stuff, maybe you or an opponent would use a different bubble in the same spot?

Consider the above.

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2005, 08:41:25 pm »
Hopefully Maxis will find someway to implement spore tech in its other games like the sims. Maybe the way you describe maybe not. Though your way sounds intresting
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master