Author Topic: Got some good dirt on Spore!  (Read 33491 times)

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
Got some good dirt on Spore!
« on: April 01, 2005, 12:24:33 am »
Heh, don't ask where I got this from, but it's 100% reliable information:

1) EA is developing Spore for both the PC ... and the Xbox 2!

2) Nearly the entire Maxis team is working on Spore full time right now.

That's all I got for now, but I'll keep digging!

Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Jecrell

• Battlezone Captain
  • Giant Snowy Ape
    • View Profile
Re: Got some good dirt on Spore!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 12:37:28 am »
Hmmmmm
I wish I could ask, but apparently I can't.

Anywho, with the Xbox 2 coming along shortly this should be very interesting. PC gamers may not be the only ones interested...

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 01:36:35 am »
i literally jumped out of my seat when I read ...'xbox 2'
that is HUGE news! well for me anyway, either spore is going to be ages away, or the xbox2 will be out sooner than I thought.

and nice to know the entire team is working on it.

thanks steve, u made my day!

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 01:57:42 am »
Well, as long as it comes out for the PC at all. >_>;;

This is so weird. Just the other day I was arguing with a friend of mine on IRC. Somehow he got the idea that Spore was an  XBox (current, not xbox 2) title. He said that the Gamespy article made it sound like it would be for XBox. I finally convinced him that the demo at the GDC was running on PC hardware, and that no system names had been given out yet.

So does this mean that they are shooting for a different group of gamers than the type that would buy sims 2? XBox seems like a strange system to try and advertise to the typical sims 2 fan.

Steve, any idea if the xbox version will be a straight port of the PC version, or the other way around? Or might it be a more "console friendly" version of the same franchise? I somehow doubt they'd be working on two separate "spore" games when they don't even know if the game will be a hit or not, so my guess would be a straight port. I guess the reason I even ask is because it was kind of unexpected.

EDIT: Waaaaait a minute ... has anyone looked at the calendar today? *glares at Steve with suspicion* I swear, if this is an April Fools joke on your part ... you really had me going.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2005, 02:24:18 am by Crowster »

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 04:49:26 am »
EDIT: Waaaaait a minute ... has anyone looked at the calendar today? *glares at Steve with suspicion* I swear, if this is an April Fools joke on your part ... you really had me going.

:o
now that you mention it.....

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 04:53:26 am »
Let me be the first to say; I don't believe you ;).  Tell us at 00:01 April 2nd and i may just change my mind!

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 07:27:54 am »
Let me be the first to say; I don't believe you ;).  Tell us at 00:01 April 2nd and i may just change my mind!

Heh, I didn't even notice the date! No it's not a joke! From what I know is that Maxis is busy making Spore for the PC (and the demo at GDC was on a PC) but EA wants them to also make it for the Xbox 2 at the same time. So the "core" game will be PC-based (at least at this point) with Spore being ported to Xbox 2 at the same time.

It should be interesting as Xbox 2 will of course have Xbox Live support, so the ability to connect to the internet and download/upload creatures shouldn't be a problem. And the game was very "console friendly" now that I think of it. The entire interface was icon-based, it shouldn't be a huge issue to do a decent port from PC to Xbox 2.

Hum, Spore as an Xbox 2 launch title?!? Damn, that would be awesome. :o

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 07:38:05 am »
I'm not too worried.  Sim games have been on the console since SimCity was ported to the SNES.  Promises, if nothing else, to be very interesting.  One wonders how patches and the like are going to be treated.  -leeman

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005, 07:57:29 am »
A while ago I stumbled across some information that I didn't bother posting, because it seemed wholly irrelevant. One of the people working on the game gave a speech at the GDC in which he mentioned that he was 'glad his project got to be on the PC'. I can try to find it again - it was one of the 'bunch of people rant' speeches, as opposed to any kind of tutorial.

The way he said it could be interpreted as 'it almost got stuck entirely on a console', if you care to read it that way. Therefore, I guess it's not so unlikely.

Here's the bad news: if it's being developed for the XBox2, it probably isn't coming out for Christmas.

-Craig

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 08:17:37 am »
Or they could release the PC version first, then port it to the Xbox2?  I see no problem with doing that.

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2005, 08:49:46 am »
Well, U know how Rockstar always releases the GTA versions for the x-box a year after the ps2 version.

They may do the same with the xbox2. They'll release the PC version early and xbox2 when it comes out.

dapunisher

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2005, 09:34:16 am »
I've read on several different sites (not saying any of them are reliable) that Microsoft is pushing to have the XBOX 2 out by this Christmas to get the jump on Sony. Which means games like Spore and The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion MIGHT be near completion. Awhile ago IGN had a huge bit on the XBOX 2, and they said Microsoft wants to have 40 launch titles for the new system. Now if neither of these games are coming out anytime soon, how many launch titles do you think the XBOX 2 will have?

Just a really nasty rumor...lol

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2005, 10:15:20 am »
Did anyone listen to my podcast? Yes, the Xbox 2 will be out this year by Christmas, most likely this November. I go over this is detail in my podcast from yesterday.

If Spore is a launch title for the Xbox 2 then it too will be out by Christmas. Keep in mind that EA is the king of releasing the same game for multiple systems at the same time (in this case, PC and Xbox 2). We will see...

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2005, 10:29:09 am »
Hmmm, I haven't been keeping track of the XBox2. If it's coming out by Christmas, nevermind what I said about potential delays. In fact, reverse it. :)

-Craig

dapunisher

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2005, 04:32:07 pm »
Steve now I feel like an idiot, lol. I told you I remember hearing that somewhere!
Though I'd by no means consider your site unreliable 8)
So Christmas it is huh? I need a job...fast.