Author Topic: So, I almost died  (Read 6508 times)

Offline Madchat18

• Mystery House Madman
  • The "I'm Not a ____, but..." King
    • View Profile
So, I almost died
« on: June 07, 2005, 10:07:19 am »
I just wanted to come here to let you all know that I almost died this weekend. On Friday we had a cookout to celebrate a co-workers going away and I ate 2 hamburgers. Saturday I went to Six Flags and became severely dehydrated and went to sleep. Sunday I woke up at 730pm and couldn't move, I was vomiting, dizzy, extremely sick. Monday morning I called my Supervisor and she took me to the hospital. I had 50/25 blood pressure and I had to have several bags of I.V. They really don't know what happened but it is assumed that I had food poisoning mixed with heat stroke. I'm telling everyone right now, always drink water and gatorade if you're going to be doing anything outside... I'm still pretty sick (vomitting and the like) but if you could please keep me in your thoughts.

This space for sale.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
Re: So, I almost died
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 11:15:30 am »
Sounds bad - i'll make sure i'm near an off licence at all times.  Sorry to hear about your weekend.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 11:24:33 am »
Dang, that sucks. You know, something like that happened to my brother, he fainted during a class and it turned out he was dehydrated and whatnot... the doctors bascially told him to drink lots of Gatorade and water, and he's fine now.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 11:51:50 am »
Now that is bad luck.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline PineappleTheHun

• Mystery House Madman
  • Explodablicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 12:32:18 pm »
I got dehydrated biking to Subway once.. I was giving the guy my order, and my vision started blacking out. I fainted, fell backwards, hit my head on a chair then woke up 3 seconds later thinking "I need to use the bathroom".
The wierd thing is- I remember thinking that I wanted to sit down, while I was fainting. Real bizarrely calm-like. I thought that I did just sit down, right there on the floor, but my brother told me that I fell backwards and hit the chair.
I got a free glass of water and a cookie out of the ordeal.  :D

Anyways- get better soon dude ;)
Quote from: Borogove
I try to think of what mother nature would have done if she suffered major brain damage.
Quote from: Gaming Steve
You are wrong.
Quote from: Legodragonxp
Starship Troopers 2 had only two things worth seeing, but she died early on

Offline Sturek

• Microvision Master
  • If we can dream it, we can do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 12:49:29 pm »
Sounds really terrible.....I hope you get better very soon....

My girlfriend had problems with that too...was really bad, she started to faint or nearly faint on a regular basis :(
But then me and the strange Weigh****chers diet got her to drink more and now everything's fine....

Once again, get better soon....
Life, don't talk to me about life.
                 -Marvin, the paranoid android

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 12:54:19 pm »
Not to belittle what happened to you but that has actually happened to me ... twice (not the food poisoning, just the dehydration). In fact, this just happened to me a few months ago in a very similar manner. I was in Florida for Spring Training and I was outside all day and wasn't really used to the heat. I wasn't really drinking that much water and wasn't eating the best of foods that day. Later in the day I wasn't feeling well and had the worst headache of my entire life, and it kept getting worse and worse and worse. Eventually I was also vomiting, dizzy, and sweating like crazy and could barely stand I was in so much pain. I was actually supposed to fly home that night but they didn't want me on the plane, so I changed my flight for the next day and stayed over in the nearby hotel. Since this happened to me once before I figured that I was badly dehydrated and slowly drank some Gatorade and got some sleep. A few hours later I woke up, had some more Gatorade and some small bits to eat. I continued during the night and by the next day I was feeling better, but it took me a good few days to get back to normal.

Let me tell you, when you are dehydrated you get a headache unlike anything you could possibly imagine, and I used to get migraines. You actually feel like your head is going to explode it hurts so much. Make sure that you drink water or Gatorade when you're in the sun! No beer or soda!!!
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 02:17:38 pm »
It really is amazing what Gatorade can do for you. I don't really have any problems with fainting (well, I did once when I was REALLY sick, it was similar to what PineappleTheHun described, I was thinking, "hmm, let me just lay down" then I woke up all the sudden) but whenever I drink Gatorade I generally feel a lot better. What I don't get is why the Gators are so terrible, I mean, come on, they invented the stuff!

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 02:35:14 pm »
Hmmm... the closest I ever came to dying would probably be when I was an infant. I had to take penicilin because I was sick, but instead of getting better I kept getting worse. Finally  was taken back to the doctor's and taken off. Now if should have to need it again I would have to take the substitute.

That or the time my sister hit me in the head with a bat! (metal)

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 02:40:37 pm »
That or the time my sister hit me in the head with a bat! (metal)

*explicatives*

Part of me wants to hear about how that happened, part of me is running to the store to buy a batting helmet.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 02:46:50 pm »
We were playing a game where you throw the ball in the air and hit the ball you just threw as far as you could. I had just finished my turn and had handed her the bat when POW! I was on the ground. I don't remember feeling any pain, but when I tried to get up I found it really hard to balance (and I had double vision).

So anyway I was left with a black eye (that's where the bat struck) for a few weeks. At first it was the normal black/blue/purple but it eventually turned yellow. I have no idea why.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2005, 02:56:21 pm »
Well, being part Irish, and therefore an expert on shiners, I can tell you that they'll turn all sorts of colors, even green!

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2005, 02:58:17 pm »
I was green for a little too, But only for a day or two. It was yellow most often. Can't think of abetter way to put that sentence.

Offline Madchat18

• Mystery House Madman
  • The "I'm Not a ____, but..." King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2005, 08:24:30 am »
Well, I just came back from the hospital again and now they think I have a viral infection of some sort. Still sick, major headaches and nausea. I swear, I will be really pissed if I die before Spore comes out.
This space for sale.

Offline Deep Lee

• Omega Racer
  • Don't quote pictures. Use words to describe them.
    • View Profile
    • DeepLee.com
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2005, 11:09:19 am »
Yeah almost dying sucks almost as much as dying. I was traveling on a bus across mexico and at one of the stops I had a hotdog at a little vendor, it was so good I had another one. Then a couple hours later on the bus (mexican buses are REALLY NICE by the way) I just started vomiting non stop (food poisoning), and it was like 5 hours or more before the next city. Don't get me started on Mexican hospitals. Oooh man that sucked. I'm never eating hotdogs in mexico again. I feel sorry for the people who had to use the bus restroom that I puked ALL OVER. "shudder". Oh yeah I was so dillusional I believed aliens put implants into my left hand, cuz I had this triangular mark and several bumps that are still in the back of my thumb, on that tendon that connects to your wrist. I think it was just from I.V. stress though (yeah an I.V. in my HAND), they had to put it in like 4 times, and readjust it so it wouldn't hurt so bad- oh god that sucked...

Good luck man, drink lots of water. LOTS. Water fixes almost everything. That is, if you can keep it down.