Author Topic: Your first creature?  (Read 107253 times)

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
Your first creature?
« on: March 19, 2005, 03:00:47 am »
The title says it all.  I know there is the "Ultimate Creature" thread, but it is not actually asking you what YOUR creature will look like (or what ideas you have for it).  Just out of curiosity, tell everyone here, and what sort of architechture you will use for your cities would be interesting too.

One idea of mine for example, is to have a creature which is (for the most part) humanoid, but holds traits of other creatures.  The idea is to have a very tall, possibly 7-8 foot tall creature with a back that is slightly hunched forward, so that it runs with a sort of loping motion.  It will be quite thin, yet strong due to it's size, and will also have sharp claws on the tips of it's "hands".
  I intend to make these creatures quite intelligent too, so they will live in the same style as they themselves look - massive, thin, brooding buildings that dominate the surroundings, making their cities look forboding and "dark".

Another idea of mine was to have giant cat creatures, with lots of tails, and have them live in furry buildings (i just think it would be funny).  Will probably create them as my second race though in a second game after i make my janocytes (the tall humanoid creatures i described). 

Well... that's me, what about you? 

Offline Agent Zero

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • Previously known as Agent Z
    • View Profile
    • Adventures of a Teenage Game Master
Re: Your first creature?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 03:04:16 am »
The first creature I create will be a big fat cartoony ninja cow.

Seriously.

And then maybe something thats a cross between a goat, an owl, a shark and a hedgehog. The Gowarhog. Yep.

So, you know who to blame when either of these two attack your creature :-)
Quote from: Scipion
replayability ends where your imagination does...or when your computer stops working

Offline Jayce

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 04:46:31 am »
Beachballogos (c).

It's spherical and ehmm rolls.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 12:26:15 pm by Jayce »

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 05:16:08 am »
Lol, they sound, umm, interesting!

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 05:45:18 am »
or

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 05:48:00 am »
hmm, 4 legs, a torso, three arms spaced evenly around it with 6 sets of eyes, the mouth on the undercarrage. I'm tired of this backside garbage.

or

2 legs kinda bowlegged comming off of a roundish torso, a head of some sort on the top. 2 short arms on the front nd a long prehensile scorpion-esque tail coming from the bottom capable of striking on the front but usually remaining brought up in the back. and to top it off i'd give it a nice pair of wings on the back
[Edit: I dub them Aguijon!]

I think I like the second one the best :D

and solidmetal that's the best idea. I love that animation!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 09:01:01 am by Scipion »
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 05:53:59 am »
Ha, good idea solidmetal.  And nice description, Scipion - those creatures sound pretty crazy!  I want to make humanoid characters and beastial characters to see what the difference in gameplay is.  I wonder how different it would be to concentrate on brain power in a humanoid compared to a killing machine scorpion-creature, for example.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005, 06:03:33 am »
Heh, why not go for both. That roundish torso coul dbe where it's massive brain it located...
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2005, 06:08:01 am »
Yeah but i like to go for extremes - to be really good at one thing, but poor in another.  That way you know where your strengths are, and overcoming your weaknesses is all the more fun.  Like figuring out interesting ways of defeating warlike savages as intelligent humanoids would be more fun for me than having awesomely intelligent creatures that just defeat everything, if you get my meaning.

I dunno, i'm going to try out everything, this game looks like it has so much replayability!

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2005, 06:11:07 am »
Just like all Maxis games, the replayability ends where your imagination does...or when your computer stops working

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2005, 06:31:59 am »
Or when you get bored of getting promotions for your Sims' jobs... i don't know, the Sims was always fun, but i found that the replayability value wasn't really there.  It's a great game, for sure, because loads of people love it!  Spore on the other hand looks amazing.  I want a game for replayability now... i've been let down by games such as World of Warcraft, Rome Total War etc. thinking they would be "The Game" that would last me years... strangely enough i cannot play them anymore because they are repetitive as hell - especially Rome.  WoW is good, but offers nothing new.

Offline Syncmasterk

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2005, 06:36:38 am »
For some sick reason i am going to see if the Apes from "the Planet of the Apes" (the Original) could be the most powerful creature out there  :P if not i will maybe have underwater creatures (ie: sea monkeys)
I got my name from a computer monitor

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2005, 06:40:55 am »
I don't know, I think I could handle a species that goes around calling someone the "Lawmaker". Synmasterk I think EVERYONE is going to go through the aquatic creature thing when we are at the ocean phase of the game. We've been kinda debating wether or not you could advance (sentience and technology wise) an underwater creature, there's lots of "yeas" and "nays" about it. I don't think it will be resolved until there's official info on it.

Offline Syncmasterk

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2005, 06:51:00 am »
well i would be interested in seeing how the game would play if i never gave my creature legs just to see if i can advance
I got my name from a computer monitor

Offline dvalladt

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2005, 07:10:44 am »
I'm pretty sure there must be some kind of seal-alike creature... I would definetly try to make something like that.